On the 4th Thursday of last month, (July 26th), we had a very productive meeting of the Division A Advanced Toastmasters club in Ridgefield, CT. At the meeting, we decided, as a group, to come to the next meeting (this Thursday, Aug.23rd ) prepared for a number activities that will improve our Toastmaster skills.
If we are going to grow as members of an advanced club, we need to challenge ourselves to improve and "raise the bar" for our communication and leadership skills. In particular, our plan is that each member of the advanced Toastmaster will come to the meeting with...
1) At least one "tip" for the group. This can relate to nearly any aspect of speaking and the idea is that the whole group can benefit from the experience or research that each member brings to the meeting. An example that came up in the meeting was "When presenting, stand to the left of your slides since people read left-to-right." After each meeting, we will publish the tips in the email meeting reminder (that is sent out
2) A prepared 8-10 min. Speech. There were some who, for personal scheduling reasons, could not agree to prepare a speech, but the following working titles / speakers have committed to be prepared to speak and be evaluated by the group.
* "Emotional Intelligence" by David Gavin
* "Life Lessons" by Croix Sather
* "How to Negotiate Anything" by Richard Hastings
* "Speaking to Investors" by Paul Tanner
* "Pump It UP! Taking your Marketing materials to the next level" by Dave Wheeler
We may not get to all speeches, but we will be prepared. If you have a speech title and would like to be added to the list of speakers, please reply to this email with your speech title and a brief description.
3) A prepared "role play" situation, preferrably written down so that each participant can read it. This is similar to TableTopics, but it is much more interactive and will help the members think on their feet and react to a changing situation ( i.e. the other person in the "role play").
We are looking forward to another exciting meeting this Thursday, Aug.23rd (see details below) and guests are definitely welcome. If you have your CC or CTM and are interested in becoming a member (or know someone who might be), please reply to this email or attend an upcoming meeting.
Hope to see you there !
Div.A Governor, 2006-8
Here are all the details ... place, time and directions... for the upcoming meeting of theDiv.A ADVANCED Toastmaster club ....
Place:Ridgefield Public Library, in the "History Room"
472 Main Street, Ridgefield, CT 06877
click here for a map showing the location.Directions are also available on the library's web site:Date/Time:Thursday, August 23rd, 20077:15 to 8:45pm (please try to arrive at 7pm so we can start on time)Please forward a link to this post to any Advanced Toastmaster who might be interested ...If you or anyone in the clubs in your area are not able to make this meeting, please send me an email at [theshot92 at gmail.com] expressing your interest.Please pass this post along and let me know if there are any questions.Thanks,Dave WheelerDivision A Governor, 2006-8