Monday, July 25, 2005

Ideas for new Toastmasters Club(s) in Danbury Area

Below are a series of emails between Dave Wheeler and Edina Soboleski, former Area A4 Governor and member of Barnum Square Toastmasters, about some ideas for potential new Toastermasters clubs for Area A4 .

As with all "email strings", it is best if you start reading them from the bottom and work your way up, message by message.

***************************************************************************
From: Dave Wheeler Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005
To: "Edina Soboleski" Subject: Re: Toastmasters

Edina,
I'm not exactly sure how we would find a list of DTM, ATM-S & ATM-G, but I will see if I can get the information from the district and I will let you know what I find out!
Dave

******************************************************************************

In an email dated 7/25/2005, "Edina Soboleski" writes:

Dave, You can post it. I don't have a problem with ATM-S but I think that it has to be kept to a real tough standard because after you get your DTM there is not as much motivation but we still need to speak & be evaluated or we lose our skills.

Is there any way of determining how many DTM, ATM-G & ATM-S, we have in the area - not Toastmasters definition of area, a radius of x # of miles. It might be an opportunity to get old Toastmasters to return. I've been working on virtual Chapters in another association that I belong to for about 7 - 8 years. I think it's a great idea but I couldn't seem to get it off the ground. I couldn't find a large corp. who would support me with the technology.
Edina
Interim Service Executives
Source For Temporary Service Professionals

***************************************************************************
From: Dave Wheeler Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005
To: "Edina Soboleski" Subject: Re: Toastmasters

Edina,
Yes, I expect any new club would count toward the numbers (assuming it got over 20 members). Do you think there are enough ATM-G in the Danbury area to create a full-fledged club? Maybe if ATM-S were included ...as "probational members" perhaps... there could be a larger pool of potential members.

Another idea I've been kicking around (which may or may not be related) is to create a "virtual club" which would have [at least some of] their meetings via conference calls and web video hookups. This would help the members learn a new communication medium which is becoming more common in the corporate world.

I ran the virtual club idea past Toastmasters International (via Rich Couture, past District 53 governor) and they said that a club would still require [at least some form of] "in person" meetings. Our Division Governor this year (Karin) works for IBM so we might have some help with the technology.

I'm not sure if this idea overlaps with the ATM-G club idea, but it seems like both ideas could be most attractive to advanced toastmasters.

What do you think? Would you mind if I post your idea (via a transcript of this email) to my web log to see if we can get comments from others?
Best Regards,
Dave Wheeler

***************************************************************************
In an email dated 7/24/2005 "Edina Soboleski" writes:

Dave,
Does an advanced(name?) club count towards your numbers? There are a few of us who would like a club for ATM-G's, if we have enough in the Area. We talked about meeting monthly at the Holiday Inn in Danbury.
What do you think?
Edina
Interim Service Executives
Source For Temporary Service Professionals

No comments: