Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Area A4 Governor Position for 2006-7

The Area A4 Governor (2006-7) will be responsible for Barnum Square, WestConn, Socially Speaking and the new Cartus Magnus club (a newly chartered closed corporate club at Cendant Mobility near the Danbury Mall.)

The (minimum) requirements for the Area Governor would be to:

- Visit a meeting of each club in Area A4 in the Fall and Spring and submit a simple form to International that gives a brief update on how the clubs are doing toward Distinguished Club. (You can also submit them online which I found much easier than mailing paper forms.)

- Attend District Executive Team meetings every other month on Saturdays, usually from 10am-2pm. (This is not 100% required. I think I missed a few of them.)

- Submit brief monthly reports about the clubs in your area to the Division A Governor (me). These usually are brief emails with bullets summarizing anything that might have happened in the month. (5-10 minutes per month)

- Organize the Fall and Spring Area contests. WestConn typically hosts the Area A4 contest, but the Area Governor can decide to have it somewhere else if they want. There is lots of material from the district and international to help and I am available to assist as needed too.

Beyond that, the job is essentially whatever you make of it. I tried to focus on transferring as much information from the District Level to the Club Level as I could (which is why I created the Area A4 blog, www.areaA4.blogspot.com) and I learned ALOT about Toastmasters in the process. I found it very rewarding to work with the officers of the clubs in the Area and I think it helped stretch my comfort zone a bit so that I can now try new things that I never thought were possible.

Speak Up!

Dave Wheeler
Area A4 Governor, 2005-6
Division A Governor, 2006-7

No comments: